Introduction: I know there are probably a number of things I might have left out, but I think this covers pretty much everything that I, for one, would want to answer. Most of the character profile sheets I've found online are really aimed for modern day characters- they ask about music and TV shows and such, which I don't involve in my writing, so it's harder for me to answer those questions. So I was bored (and procrastinating) and ended up making this questionnaire and decided to share it for people to use. You are welcome to add onto the questions (and if you have any suggestions, please let me know) and definitely welcome to not include some of them if they don't apply to your characters. For resources I mostly just used the web sites I've found online and pulled the questions that I thought were most important and would apply to my characters. Some of the questions toward the end (like the ones for magic) are ones that I came up with, too. Have fun!
You can find this posted with a code for copying (with spaces between questions provided) at my LJ community creativefantasy HERE.
1. NAME (include full name, nicknames, aliases, etc):
3. PHYSICAL APPEARANCE
-BODY TYPE (wiry and agile, or does he work out and his body is the proof? Remember that thin and skinny can bring up to different images – and maybe he’s small-boned but sturdy):
-EYES (color, look, etc):
-HAIR (color, style, length)
-PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION PARAGRAPH
4. RACE (human, Halfling, elf, dwarf, etc):
5. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? WHERE DO YOU LIVE NOW?
-MOTHER (name, what’s your relationship like?):
-FATHER (name, what’s your relationship like?):
-SIBLINGS (names, what’s your relationship with them like?)
-OTHER RELATIVES (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. Names, what’s your relationship with them like?):
7. FRIENDS (names; what’s your relationship with them like?):
8. MARITAL/RELATIONSHIP STATUS:
9. ENEMIES (names; why are you enemies and how strongly are you enemies?)
11. SOCIAL CLASS:
12. Do you have any scars? Tattoos? Birthmarks? Other unique physical features?
13. Do you have any physical strengths/weaknesses? If so, what are they?
14. Do you have any mental strengths/weaknesses? If so, what are they?
15. Are you right or left handed?
PERSONALITY AND LIFE
16. List three quirks or defining characteristics
17. Do you have a commonly used phrase?
18. What is your earliest memory?
19. How much schooling have you had? Did you enjoy it?
20. How would you describe your childhood in general?
21. Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor/relative? Does that affect you?
22. What do you consider the most important event in your life so far?
23. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
24. What is your biggest regret?
25. Do you have any secrets? If so, what are they?
26. What is the most evil thing you have ever done?
27. When was the time you were most frightened?
28. Have you ever traveled outside of your country? If so, where?
29. What is your greatest fear?
30. What makes you happy? Sad? Angry? Why?
31. Do you believe in self-sacrifice for the greater good?
32. Do you have any biases or prejudices?
33. Who is the most important person in your life and why?
34. Who is the person you respect the most? Despise the most? Why?
35. Do you have a lot of friends? Who is your best friend?
36. How do you relate to members of the same race? Class? Sex?
37. Have you ever been in love? If so, describe what happened.
38. How close are you to your family?
39. Do you want a marriage, family, and/or children?
40. Do you tend to argue with people or avoid conflict?
41. Are you a listener or a talker?
42. How long does it take for you to trust others?
43. Do you hold grudges?
44. Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?
45. Do you like interacting with large groups of people?
46. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
47. Are you generally introverted or extroverted?
48. What goal do you most want to accomplish in the next six months? Your lifetime?
49. Where do you see yourself in five years? Ten years? Twenty years?
50. If you could choose, how would you want to die?
51. What is the one thing you would like to be remembered for after your death?
52. What three words would you use to best describe your personality?
53. What three words would others probably use to describe you?
54. Why are you risking your life to adventure?
55. Do you have any magic abilities? If so, what are they?
56. If you have magic abilities, how have they affected you? Do you accept them as what they are and strive to improve them, or do you refuse to accept them and wish you didn’t have them?
57. How do others in your life view your magic abilities? Are they accepting or fearful?
58. Does the society you live in accept magic, or are they fearful of it? How are magic users generally viewed?
59. What are your goals?